Skin Management Conveniently located to serve Long Beach and Huntington Beach
Southern California Plastic Surgery Group
With skin management, Long Beach patients can maintain fresh, healthy-looking skin without any need for surgeries. Many types of skin management treatments are available to reduce or eliminate sun damage, fine lines, scars, and acne.
Our faces are almost constantly exposed to damaging elements. The sun, air pollutants, acne, allergic reactions, and injuries can all leave their mark on your face over time, creating:
- Fine lines
- Los Angeles Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Rough, dry patches
- Enlarged pores
These can all make your skin look older and hide its healthy glow. Skin management allows your skin to look its best.
Dermabrasion is a skin management treatment that removes the top skin layer and several sub-layers. It can reduce scars and fine lines, and it can also remove pre-cancerous growths. It is often used in conjunction with other facial procedures, such as the facelift.
Patients with darker skin often choose dermabrasion over other skin treatments because it is a non-chemical treatment and is less likely to cause extreme changer in skin color.
How it’s done
- The procedure is performed under local anesthesia and a sedative.
- The top layers of skin are scraped off with a motorized instrument using a wire brush or diamond particles.
- After dermabrasion, your skin will be red, swollen, and sore. Dr. Hicks will prescribe pain medication to minimize discomfort.
- Swelling should start to subside in a few days to a week.
- You may develop a crusty scab.
- Most people can return to work after about two weeks of recovery, but you should avoid bumping your face for a month to six weeks. It will be sensitive and may feel slightly swollen for several weeks.
- Redness will take about three months to fade.
You will need to protect your new skin from the sun until pigment has fully returned. This usually takes about six months to one year. The results will last much longer if you continue to protect your skin from the sun.
Other Common Treatment Options
Retin-A® is a cream or gel which Dr. Hicks will teach you to use at home. It combats sun damage, smoothing fine lines and reducing age spots, and is incorporated into your skin care routine.
Glycolic acid works well on rough sun-damaged skin. It is also used at home as part of your skin care routine.
Chemical peels remove the top layer of skin, smoothing out fine lines and removing sun damage, often in one treatment.
How Much Do Skin Management Treatments Cost?
Skin treatments vary in price depending on the exact treatment chosen. Cost is also affected by the number of treatments necessary to achieve the patient’s aesthetic goals.