Rhinoplasty Conveniently located to serve Long Beach and Hunnington Beach
Southern California Plastic Surgery Group
Rhinoplasty, commonly referred to as a “nose job,” is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures. Dr. Hicks in Beverly Hills, Long Beach, and Los Angeles, California, is one of few minorities practicing plastic surgery in the United States. He specializes in ethnic rhinoplasty because he understands the special needs and desires that African and Hispanic Americans have when deciding whether or not to have a plastic surgery procedure.
Accomplishes many end results
- Reduce size
- Increase size
- Change the shape of the bridge
- Remove humps or bumps
- Change the shape of the tip
- Narrow the nostrils
- Change the angle between your nose and upper lip
- Correct birth defects
- Correct injuries
- Relieve breathing problems
Excellent service, friendly atmosphere, office staff and doctor made me feel very comfortable and at ease. All my concerns and questions were answered and procedure availability was perfect. Post op has been great. Doctor was available after hours via telephone and genuinely concerned with my recovery.
The best candidates for rhinoplasty are in good physical and emotional health and have realistic expectations. You may be seeking reconstructive surgery after an injury, correction of a birth defect or breathing problem, or simply want to improve your profile.
Most cosmetic procedures are not recommended for patients under 18 years old, but rhinoplasty is sometimes appropriate for teenagers. It is best to wait until after your growth spurt around 14 or 15 years old.
Preparing for rhinoplasty surgery
Well in advance of the surgery, you will be provided with specific instructions for how to prepare for the procedure including guidelines on eating, drinking, smoking, and taking medications and supplements, during the weeks, days, and hours prior to surgery.
You will need to arrange for someone to drive you home after your procedure and should have someone available to stay with you for the first few days of recovery, or you may choose to spend a few days in a luxury recovery facility.
Rhinoplasty may be performed under general anesthesia or under local anesthesia with sedation.
- Depending on the type of correction you seek, the incision may be made on the inside or the outside of your nose.
- Most rhinoplasty involves separating the skin from the bone and cartilage, sculpting the bone and cartilage to the desired shape, and then redraping the skin over the improved framework.
- A splint is used to maintain the new shape during the healing process, and nasal packs may be placed inside your nostrils.
After your surgery your will be sore and you may have a headache. Dr. Hicks will prescribe pain medication to minimize any discomfort.
- You should sleep at a 45 degree angle and use a cold compress for the first few days to minimize swelling.
- Swelling and bruising around the eyes will subside within the first two weeks.
- You may feel stuffy for a few weeks, but don’t try to blow your nose for at least one week.
- The splint, stitches and dressing will be removed after one to two weeks.
- Light activity may be resumed about one week after surgery, but strenuous activities should be avoided for two to three weeks.
- Any activity which involves hitting or rubbing your nose or exposure to the sun should be avoided for about two months.
- Glasses, if worn, must be taped to your forehead to prevent putting pressure on your nose during this healing period.
You will look much better after the first two weeks, but it can take up to a year for all the swelling to disappear so that you can see the final results.
Get more familiar with rhinoplasty by viewing our Before and After Gallery.
Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Hicks in Beverly Hills, Long Beach, or Los Angeles, California, to determine if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. During your consultation Dr. Hicks will evaluate your unique body type and desired results, explain all your treatment options, discuss the outcome you can realistically expect, and answer any questions you may have.