Otoplasty Conveniently located to serve Long Beach and Huntington Beach
Southern California Plastic Surgery Group
Ear surgery, or otoplasty, in Long Beach can correct the angle at which ears stick out, reduce their size, or regularize their shape.
Most cosmetic procedures are reserved for adults and if performed on children, they are between the ages of four and 14. Children’s ears are almost completely developed by the time they reach four years of age, but they are still soft and pliable.
Children benefit greatly from otoplasty, avoiding the teasing and ridicule they often face going through school with ear deformities. Adults can have ear surgery too, with no additional risks.
If you are considering ear surgery for your child, it is important that the child wants to have the surgery. Children who want to have the surgery are more cooperative with the process and happier with the results.
Excellent service, friendly atmosphere, office staff and doctor made me feel very comfortable and at ease. All my concerns and questions were answered and procedure availability was perfect. Post op has been great. Doctor was available after hours via telephone and genuinely concerned with my recovery.
Ear surgery can be performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia and a sedative. General anesthesia is usually recommended for young children.
Ear pinning is the most common ear surgery and is used to correct protruding ears.
- The surgery normally lasts about two or three hours.
- An incision is made in the back of the ear.
- Usually a sliver of cartilage is removed, although in some patients only skin is removed. In either case, the cartilage is bent and secured into a position closer to the head.
After otoplasty, your ears may throb and ache for a few days. Dr. Hicks will prescribe pain medication to minimize discomfort.
- You will be able to get up and move around a few hours after surgery.
- Your head will be wrapped in a bulky bandage for a few days to help maintain the new shape and speed healing.
- After a few days, you will switch to a smaller dressing that is more like a headband.
- Stitches are removed about a week after surgery.
- Work or school can be resumed after about one week. It is best to avoid any activity which might bend the ear for about a month.
Otoplasty’s price is determined based on the details of each specific case. Factors taken into account when calculating the cost of ear surgery include the techniques utilized, total surgery time, and the anesthesia administered.