Facelift Surgery Conveniently located to serve Long Beach and Huntington Beach
Southern California Plastic Surgery Group
A facelift is a very personal experience. You’ll be very pleased with the results when you know what to expect from the procedure.
Before you are sedated Dr. Hicks will mark the incision sites and go over the plans for incisions and the directions and amount of pull with you.
The procedure is normally performed under local anesthesia with sedation, as outpatient surgery. You will be awake, but drowsy. You will not feel pain, but may feel some tugging. Some patients may need to stay in the hospital for a few days after surgery. Most can go home the same day or you may choose to spend a few days in a luxury recovery facility. If you go home someone will need to drive you and stay with you for a few days to help out.
- An incision is made starting behind the hairline at the temples, traveling down just in front of the ears and then under and back from the ears into the hairline toward the back of the head. A small incision will also be made under the chin if appropriate.
- The skin is separated from the muscle
- Excess fat is removed, the muscle tightened, and the skin pulled to the desired position
- Excess skin is trimmed and the incisions are closed with stitches or sometimes staples
- A small drainage tube may be temporarily placed behind your ear
- Bandages may be applied to minimize swelling
Immediately after surgery pain and discomfort should be minimal and you may experience numbness. You will be tired and groggy. Dr. Hicks will prescribe pain medication to minimize any discomfort.
- Plan on resting after surgery.
- Although you will be lying down and will probably sleep a lot, it is important to keep your head elevated to minimize swelling.
- You should not touch or bump your face.
- Your face will be swollen and bruised and you may find this very upsetting, but it will go away. Soon you will be very happy with your new look.