Breast Reduction Conveniently located to serve Long Beach and Hunnington Beach
Southern California Plastic Surgery Group
Women more often seek breast reduction surgery for physical comfort and health reasons than for cosmetic reasons.
Large, heavy breasts can cause:
- Persistent discomfort due to bra straps digging into the shoulders
- Skin irritation beneath the breasts
- Poor posture
- Skeletal deformities
- Breathing problems
They may reduce quality of life by preventing you from participating in certain activities, making you feel self-conscious about your appearance, and making it hard to find clothing that fits.
Breast reduction surgery can correct these problems, bring the body into proper proportion and create beautifully shaped breasts.
Excellent service, friendly atmosphere, office staff and doctor made me feel very comfortable and at ease. All my concerns and questions were answered and procedure availability was perfect. Post op has been great. Doctor was available after hours via telephone and genuinely concerned with my recovery.
The best candidate for breast reduction is over 18, has breasts that are fully developed, and does not plan to become pregnant in the future. Occasionally girls under 18 can have the procedure if their breasts are causing serious discomfort or developmental damage.
Pregnancy can affect the size and shape of your breasts in unpredictable ways, so if you plan to become pregnant it would be better to postpone the procedure. Breast reduction surgery can interfere with your ability to breastfeed, especially if the reduction is extensive.
Breast reduction is performed under general anesthesia. The surgery lasts about two to four hours, and unlike most breast enhancement procedures you should expect to stay in the hospital for two to three days.
- The incision is anchor shaped, running around the nipple, extending downward, and then along the crease
- The nipple and areola are moved to a higher position
- Glandular tissue, fat and skin are removed
- Any excess fat in the armpit area can be removed with liposuction
In rare cases, only fat needs to be removed so the procedure will only require liposuction.
The first day or two after surgery will be somewhat painful and discomfort may last for a week. Dr. Hicks will prescribe pain medication.
- You will need to wear a surgical bra 24 hours a day for several weeks to reduce swelling and bruising and speed the healing process
- Stitches are removed one to three weeks after surgery
- Your breasts may swell and feel sore during your first menstruation after the surgery
- You may experience shooting pains for the first few months
- Some loss of sensation in your nipples and breast skin is normal and should subside as the swelling goes down over the first six weeks after surgery
You will be able to resume light activity in about two weeks but should avoid strenuous activities for at least one month. It can take six months to a year for your breasts to settle into their new shape.
Get more familiar with breast reduction by viewing our Before and After Gallery.
Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Hicks in Beverly Hills, Long Beach, or Los Angeles, California, to determine if you are a good candidate for breast reduction. During your consultation Dr. Hicks will evaluate your unique body type and desired results, explain all your treatment options, discuss the outcome you can realistically expect, and answer any questions you may have.