Breast Augmentation Candidates Conveniently located to serve Long Beach and Huntington Beach
Southern California Plastic Surgery Group
When planning your breast augmentation procedure you will have several decisions to make including implant placement. Dr. Hicks will help you make these decision based on your body type and shape and your desired results.
Breast implants can be placed in front of or behind the muscle. There are advantages and disadvantages to both placements. A few of the elements relevant to placement are:
- The look you wish to achieve
- The condition of your existing breast tissue
- Your lifestyle
- Your personal preferences
In front of the muscle (subglandular)
Implants placed in front of the muscle can:
- Create a more visible increase in volume
- Allow the use of larger implants
- Create a very sharply defined cleavage
Muscle activity does not affect the shape of the implant, so this placement is preferred by bodybuilders. They are easy to insert and require less recovery time than implants placed behind the muscle.
- Subglandular implants can help to correct breasts which are already sagging, but over time they can increase the sag more than implants placed behind the muscle. Why? Because they add to the overall weight of the breast, whereas implants behind the muscle don’t.
- Rippling can be more visible because the implant is close to the surface of the skin.
- There’s a higher risk of capsular contracture.
- Good mammogram images can be harder to obtain.
Behind the muscle (submuscular)
When implants are placed behind the muscle the recovery is more painful and takes longer. Since the existing breast is moved forward, the end result is more subtle and natural looking than with implants placed in front of the muscle.
- Submuscular implants are less likely to sag in the long term because the muscle supports the weight of the implant
- Since the implant is not close to the surface of the skin, its edges and any rippling are far less likely to be visible
- There is less risk of capsule contracture
- Mammogram images are less likely to be obscured
Learn more about breast implant placement by viewing our Before and After Gallery.
Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Hicks in Beverly Hills, Long Beach, or Los Angeles, California, to determine if you are a good candidate for breast augmentation. During your consultation Dr. Hicks will evaluate your unique body type and desired results, explain all your treatment options, discuss the outcome you can realistically expect, and answer any questions you may have.